While on vacation in Hawaii, Obama placed a surprise call to Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to thank him for giving quarterback Michael Vick a “second chance.”
Breaking: Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a six-year, $100 million contract.
Vick’s lucrative new pact comes on the heels of a stellar 2010 season that earned him Comeback Player of the Year. That resurgent ’10 season began just over a year after Vick was released from prison after 19 months spent behind bars for his dogfighting conviction.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
– Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Statesman and Philosopher
“When someone shows you who they are…believe them.”
– Randi Rhodes, liberal radio talk show host
- Washington Post, President Obama praises Eagles for giving Michael Vick a chance, 12/27/10
- NY Daily News, President Obama praises Michael Vick’s turnaround in call to Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, 12/28/10
- Huffington Post, Michael Vick Contract: Quarterback Signs $100 Million Deal With Philadelphia Eagles, 8/29/11